Friday 15 June 2018

How To Beat Those Holiday Blues

I'm currently sitting on my sofa, with a cup of tea. I've just walked home from work & I'm tired. I'm cold. I have an over-whelming feeling of being 'lost' & alone & all I want to do is get on a plane & fly back to Kefalonia.

I have the holiday blues.


I have to be honest & say I don't think I've ever had the holiday blues up until now. I've come back off of holiday on a few occasions & for the first week thought "awwh man, we would have been on that boat trip this time last week" or "remember that buggy ride where I thought I was going to die!?" but I've never actually had an overwhelming feeling of sadness & felt like something is missing like this.

It's a difficult thing to get your head around tbh. At the end of the holiday, I was actually missing home & couldn't wait to get back to my own bed & see my house plants (how sad am I) but now, all I want to do is get back on that sunbed & take a dip in the pool with Sally the flamingo. I miss waking up with the sun on my face, wearing my swimwear under my day clothes as it was guaranteed we'd go somewhere to take a dip in the sea & I miss my holiday family! I couldn't have asked to have gone away with more amazing people.

Anyway. This post is actually about ways of getting over the holiday blues so I've put together a few tips & tricks to make coming home & dealing with this feeling that little bit easier.

Prepare for landing
By this I mean, prepare for your arrival back home. There is nothing worse than being on the plane & visualising your house, in complete chaos because you didn't do those household chores before you left. When I'm packing, I make such a mess. I dig out all my clothes, try them all on & therefore leave half my wardrobe spread across the floor. Try to organise yourself by either putting the clothes away again if you decide not to take them on holiday with you, or pack a few days before, so you have time to tidy up afterwards. The washing up & emptying the fridge are massive things for me too. You don't have to use up everything, or wash every plate, but don't leave items that you know will go off when your away. Throw them away or eat them before you leave.

Take photos
Sometimes looking back at photos can make you feel more down as it brings back memories, but I actually find this helps me. When I look at a photo, I imagine myself back in the moment & try to remember how I felt. A lot of the photos from our holiday to Kefalonia were of the beach & it instantly makes me feel happy & warm inside when I remember us watching the sun slowly fading on the horizon.

Make memories
Like photos, making memories & thinking about what I've done on holiday makes me extremely happy. If I think of all the new places I saw & explored, it instantly brings a smile to my face. Travelling for me is a huge deal in itself, so when I think about how I'm able to go on a plane & be in another country without panicking, I feel so incredibly proud.

Keep up those healthy habits
While on holiday, I try to have a break from social media. Yes it's hard, but it does me the world of good. I feel less attached to my phone & I found myself wanting to leave it behind when we went out for the day & to evening meals. I usually do carry my phone with me everywhere, as I walk a lot of places on my own, but I'm definitely trying to keep it out of reach at home & during the day. I did indulge in quite a lot of food on holiday as well, but that did include alot of salads & fruit. I'm usually quite good at snacking on healthy food at home, but I'm really going to try to keep it up & eat less naughty treats!

Book another trip!
This one has to be my top tip! It honestly is the one thing that gets my mind off the holiday blues. Make sure you've got something to look forward to in your diary. Whether that is a day trip, another holiday or just a few days away, book it in before you leave, so you know when you come back, you have something to get excited for! James & I currently have a week in France coming up at the end of July & Elisa & I are heading to Devon for a couple of days in August too, so I have quite a few things to look forward to.

I hope this helps some of you beat those holiday blues. I really am going to try to take my own advise & snap out of it.. but don't judge me if you see me walking around in a bikini with a cocktail pretending I'm not in rainy England.. : ' )

Oh & keep an eye out for my holiday post which will be coming up soon! I'm currently sorting through over 600 photos & videos, but I can't seriously wait to share all our adventures with you guys!

Twitter / Instagram / YouTube / Bloglovin' / Pinterest / Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankyou for your lovely comments on my page, please check back as I always reply to you. :)